Ensuring Showings are Successful
Private showings and open houses provide opportunities for buyers to view your property and get a sense of what it is like to live there. Ideally, they will be impressed by what they see and motivated to make an offer. To that end, we will pay to have your home professionally staged and photographed; plus, we offer the following suggestions for things you can do to make your property look its best and maximize the potential of every showing and open house.
- Mow your lawn, pull weeds from your flowerbeds, mulch, and trim greenery, especially the trees and bushes that block the view of your home from the street.
- Give your front door a fresh coat of paint in an eye-catching color, set pots of flowers on the porch and/or hang a wreath. Be sure your house number is easy to spot.
- Sweep the driveway, sidewalk, and porch. Be sure there is nothing lying around that buyers can trip over.
- Repair and paint dings and gouges on the walls. Polish woodwork. Paint and furniture polish are inexpensive fixes ways to increase your home’s appeal.
- Clean the windows and open the drapes/blinds. Let the sunshine in! If your home is being shown at night, turn on all the lights.
- Remove the clutter and de-personalize the spaces throughout your home. You want buyers imagining themselves living there, not you and your family.
- A clean kitchen is a must. Many buyers judge housekeeping by the condition of the oven, stove, and sink. Make them shine. Clean the interior and exterior of the dishwasher, too.
- Make your bathrooms sparkle. Fixtures should be free of water spots, and the floor should be clean. Open the windows for a fresh breeze.
- Make your closets look as big as possible by removing all non-essentials to storage. Don’t overlook utility spaces. The attic, basement, garage, and outbuildings should be organized and clutter-free.
- Drain a pail of water from the water heater to remove rust particles and clean the outside of the water heater and furnace. Change the filter in the furnace and apply oil to noisy fans.
- Make sure all doors are on track and all hardware is firmly in place.
- Fix leaky faucets, creaky doors, and hole-y screens.
- Plan to remove pets from your home during showings.
- Plan to leave your home during showings, so buyers are more comfortable viewing the property.
When it comes to scheduling showing appointments, we coordinate with you to select days and times that are as convenient as possible. We realize viewings and open houses can be a hassle, and we do our best to minimize the disruptions; however, we encourage and appreciate your flexibility. The more we show your home, the better chance we have to sell it.
To sell your house quickly, and for the highest price possible, it is crucial that showings and opening houses are done right. Want to learn more about our approach? Please submit the form below or call or email us today to schedule a no-obligation Listing Consultation.